Friday, September 18, 2009

Fall chores


I spent a warm fall afternoon working outside with my kids today. We supplement our natural gas heat with a woodstove in the winter months (Oct-Apr), which requires cutting, hauling & stacking a huge quantity of firewood. Since we are a rural, homeschooling family, I expect & need their help with chores like this. There is simply too much to be done for one person- we all need to participate.
My 7 year old hauled wagon loads with sticks for kindling, making a big pile near the woodshed. The 4 year old helped unload the wood from the wagons & wheelbarrows we used. My 2 year old alternated between loading & pulling. When he got tired, towards the end of the afternoon, he asked for "up in a carrier, Mom." Out came a wool wrap (Didymos), up went the baby, & we were ready to keep working. This reminds me why I love babywearing- I can easily meet the little ones' needs to be with me, to sleep, to have a ride on Mama's back, while I am getting work done that cannot be delayed.
Women everywhere work this way with their children- littler ones being carried, bigger ones helping & learning. It's important to me that they have the opportunity to contribute to our family; that they see how we all work together to keep our life running smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I love babywearing as well. I could carry on with what I was doing and still have a calm and happy child for the most part!

    I still find this to be true! Only now I am wearing Sid's little guy who is 5 and doesn't talk yet. He hands me a picture of him on my back in a wrap smiling, to tell me that he wants up! I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you, we will look at you. Can only silently looking at you behind, anger, sorrow and happiness.
    cheap nfl nike super bowl jerseys
    nike nfl pro bowl jerseys cheap

    ReplyDelete